Thursday, January 19, 2017

Entrepreneur Of The Day: Erik Hanberg

Last week we listened to Erik Hanberg, a local entrepreneur talk to us about his route to entrepreneurship and everything it entailed for him. One of the first things he talked about that I connected with was when he talked about his experience at The Grand Theater. When he realized the big difference between running a theater and owning a theater, that was huge for his future. I also think I have had recent experiences in my day to day life where I have realized that you will always be so limited if you are working for someone else. But, if you create a business and are able to be financially successful with it, then the sky is the limit.

On a related note, another huge takeaway for me was when he talked about breaking the tradeoff of time and money that holds most people to be so limited financially. When Erik finished writing that book in 2009,  he was (for the most part) done with putting any more of his time into that book. However, now while he sits at home or pursues other ventures, the book has been bringing him money every month. That jump to passive income I think is key to becoming free of financial
burden.

Lastly, the part that struck the closest with me is when he talked about what he thinks is the hardest part about being an entrepreneur, which is the fear that comes with it. This is especially true for me. Whether it comes to my parents, family, or friends, I would hate for them to know I tried to do something and completely failed at it. I think this is what has stopped me from pursuing business opportunities that I have thought of in the past, but hopefully going forward I can get the confidence to simply start a venture even knowing the chance of failure is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment